- County vital records are regulated by the Iowa Department of Public Health by state laws and administrative rules.
- County vital record information is not available by phone or fax per state regulations.
- Certified copies may be obtained by mail or in person only if the application is completely filled out and notarized. You also need to include a copy of your government photo ID and proof of entitlement to the record requested. Our office accepts checks or money orders through the mail.
Birth Records for Adair County, Iowa
Birth records are available between the years of 1881 through 1920. We do not have any birth records between the years of 1921 to 1941. Our records start again in 1942 to the present. Single-parent births prior to July 1, 1995; adoptions; delayed registrations; legal changes of name; and any record ordered sealed by a court of law are only available at the Iowa Department of Public Health.
Death Records for Adair County, Iowa
Death records are available between the years 1881 through 1920. We do not have death records between the years of 1921 to 1941. Our records start again in 1942 to the present.
Marriage Records for Adair County, Iowa
Marriage records are available for years 1854 to the present.
Application for Certified Copies - Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of Vital Records:
Certified Copy Application Instructions:
Certified copies are available to only those with entitlement. (i.e. person named on record (18 or older), mother or father (if named on record), spouse, brother or sister (if 18 or older), maternal grandparents and paternal grandparents (if father is named on record), children or legal representatives with entitlement of proof of blood relation or representation may be required.
To receive a certified copy of an Adair County Vital Record:
- 1. Complete Application for Certified Copy form which is required to be signed in front of a notary public; and
- 2. Provide copy of a current Driver's License or other current government photo ID; and
- 3. Submit $15.00 check or money order to:
Adair County Recorder/Registrar
Courthouse, 400 Public Square Suite 6
Greenfield, IA 50849
Marriage Application and Licenses
The parties to be married and a witness who knows both individuals must come into the office. Everyone must have a valid driver's license or government issued ID. Individuals will complete the paperwork for the license in the office. There is a 3 business-day waiting period before licenses are valid. Parent consent is required for marriage license applicants ages 16 & 17. Marriage application fee is $35.00. The license is valid anywhere with the State of Iowa.
If for some reason you cannot come into the office, you may call for an application. After receiving the completed application and other forms back, the 3 business-day waiting period will begin.